General information about the Au Pair Visa : All persons who wish to work as an Au Pair in a family in Germany are required to obtain a residence permit in the form of a visa. To work as an Au Pair, a work permit is required. A work permit will be included in the visa issued for this purpose.
To work as an Au Pair in Germany you must be at least 18 years old and not older than 26 at the time of the application, although the candidate from European Union allowed to work as a Au Pair till age of 30 years. According to the visa regulations, you are not allowed to work as an Au Pair in Germany for more than 12 months but a minimum stay of 6 months is required. In some upto 2 Years also allowed.

Once all required documents have been submitted, the application and supporting documents will be forwarded to the competent German authorities at the applicant’s intended place of residence and employment during his/her stay in Germany. The processing can take up to 12 weeks. As soon as the application has been approved by the German authorities, the Embassy/Consulate will issue a national visa for the first 90 days of the intended stay. A final residence permit for the whole duration of the stay will be issued upon arrival in Germany by the Aliens’ Authority.
Although the Au Pair visa is called a “national visa”, please note that it does also entitle its holder to enter other Schengen countries for a stay of up to 90 days for tourism purposes.

Required documents: Please make sure to prepare two complete sets of the following documents collated in the order listed below and bring them to your appointment. Incomplete documentation may result in the rejection of your application.

  •  Valid passport – issued within the past 10 years, providing a minimum of 2 blank
  • Application form – duly and fully completed
  • Declaration of accurancy of information
  • Passport sized photos – no older than three months, must meet biometric standards
  • Copies of the passport’s data page
  • Residence permit in the US, e.g. Visa, Green Card, US passport
  • Proof of address, e.g. valid driver’s license, utility bill, lease
  • Copy of your Au Pair contract with an Au Pair agency or family in Germany stating the
    full address (including postal code) of your Au Pair family
  • Proof of German language skills, at least level A1 (please check 1) below for further
  • Motivation letter
  • Proof of travel health insurance for the first 90 days of your stay with a minimum
    coverage of 30.000 EUR (incl. repatriation)

The German missions in the your country reserve the right to ask for additional documents at any time during the processing of your application whenever deemed appropriate. Presenting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee that a visa will be granted.

German language skills: You need to prove basic German language skills when applying for the Au Pair visa. Competency in the German language in this case means that the applicant has the ability to communicate in German on at least a basic level, i.e. holds a certificate of successful completion of a German language course level A1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Certificates issued by an institution which performs testing in accordance with the standards of the Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) are accepted.

These requirements are met by the Goethe-Institute.
For information on language tests at the Goethe-Institute, please visit their webpage: www.goethe.de
Exception: If the applicant shows sufficient German language skills by the time of the visa application at the Consulate, no further proof would be required.

Fees: The visa fee amounts to 75 EUR and is payable in cash in German Embassy / Consulate only.

Additional information: www.germany.info/visa, please contact the German Embassy/Consulate General serving your home state.

If you have German knowledge and wish to work as a Au Pair in Germany and want to learn German language and German Culture. You are welcome to contact Europe Careers for Au Pair position in germany.